Board of Supervisors 7PM – 11/1/21
REGULAR MEETING November 1, 2021
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS 7:00 P.M.
721 Unionville Road
Kennett Square, PA 19348
- CALL TO ORDER
Present: Township Staff & Consultants:
Chairman McKinstry Ryan Jennings, Township Solicitor
Vice-Chair Monahan Chief Robert Clarke
Supervisor Sarro Neil Lovekin, Township Manager
Supervisor Vannote Hannah Christopher, Township Treasurer
Supervisor Matuszak Jeff Simpson, Public Works Director
- CONDITONAL USE PUBLIC HEARING
- PUBLIC COMMENT
Ruth Kranz- Carl of West Locust Lane requested another speed study done on the Lane. She stated that with the calming devices that are in place, the speeders are still there.
Marie DiCostanza of Larkspur Drive asked that the library funding be set aside until the project moves ahead. Chris Char of Brentford Road commented that she objects to the donation to the new library. Eden Ratliff of Mill Road said that East Marlborough should support the library, and that the library is a great part of the community.
- GENERAL DISCUSSION
- UPCOMING EVENTS
The Mushroom Half Marathon will take place on November 13th from 8:00 a.m. until noon. Residents were notified about roads that would be closed. Emergency vehicles will have access.
Executive sessions were held on October 13th, 2021, regarding legal and personnel matters. There will be a brief executive session after tonight’s meeting to discuss a legal matter.
- CONTINUING BUSINESS
- Supervisor Vannote made a motion to approve resolution number 2021-38; Longwood Preserve letter of credit 21-06 and to authorize a release of Phase 2, Escrow #6 for Longwood Preserve in the amount of $8,881.23 as recommended by Engineer Donlon. Supervisor Matuszak seconded; motion carried 5-0.
- Vice Chair Monahan made a motion to approve the escrow release request from Northridge for $42,442.81 for phases 1 a/b ($15,065.60), phase 2 ($24,705.21), and for phase 3 ($2,672.00), all approved by Engineer Donlon. Supervisor Matuszak seconded; motion carried 5-0.
- Vice Chair Monahan made a motion to approved Engineer Donlon’s recommended escrow release #8 for Unionville Chadds Ford School District in the amount of $49,668.00. Supervisor Sarro seconded; motion carried 5-0.
- PROPOSED 2022 BUDGET
A special meeting will be held on November 9th at 7 p.m. at the township building. The meeting will be posted and advertised by Friday, November 5th. Supervisor Sarro made a motion to pay off the PIB loan from Truist bank account. Vice Chair Monahan seconded; motion carried 5-0.
- TOWNSHIP DEPARTMENTS MONTHLY REPORTS
- Public Works Director Jeff Simpson gave his monthly report. The LED project for the streetlights is complete, Simpson stated. Simpson’s report also included updates on the M-S 4 project and the PIB construction loan. PENNDOT has been notified with regards to the settled trench on 926 according to Simpson.
- Chief Clarke gave his police report. He stated that the Southeast portion of the township was the busiest with 133 calls. Clarke reported on the special events the police department has been working, Longwood Gardens, Lantern Festival and trick or Treat patrol. Chief spoke of the F-150 truck he would like to purchase to replace the 2009 expedition which needs repairs. Vice Chair Monahan made a motion to give approval to Chief Clarke to order the F-150 police vehicle this month. Supervisor Matuszak seconded; motion carried 4-0. (Supervisor Sarro abstained)
- TREASURER’S REPORT AND MONTHLY BILLS
Supervisor Vannote made a motion to approve the treasurers report and the monthly bills. Supervisor Matuszak seconded. Motion carried 5-0.
- NEW BUSINESS
- Vice Chair Monahan made a motion to award the salt bid contract to Morton Salt, Inc. per the Municipal Cooperative of Southern Chester County in the amount of $107,805.00. Supervisor Sarro seconded; motion carried 5-0.
- Supervisor Vannote and Public Works Director Simpson worked together to save the township a significant amount of money for the wastewater sludge removal project. The dredging will include disposal costs. Vice Chair Monahan made a motion to award the contract for the wastewater sludge removal to Active Environmental. Supervisor Sarro seconded; motion carried 5-0.
- Vice Chair Monahan made a motion to authorize Manager Lovekin to spend up to $7,000.00 to obtain a microphone and audio equipment to facilitate hybrid meeting and better acoustics. Supervisor Matuszak seconded; motion carried 4-0. (Supervisor Sarro abstained)
- APPROVAL OF MINUTES
Supervisor Vannote approved the October 2021 minutes as presented; Vice Chair Monahan seconded; motion carried 5-0.
All business having been discussed, a motion was made by Supervisor Vannote, seconded by Supervisor Sarro, and carried by a vote of 5-0 to adjourn the meeting at 9:55 p.m.
Hannah Christopher, Treasurer/Assistant Township Manager