Board of Supervisors 7PM – 6/7/21
REGULAR MEETING June 7, 2021
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS 7:00 P.M.
721 Unionville Road
Kennett Square, PA 19348
- CALL TO ORDER
Present: Township Staff & Consultants:
Chairman McKinstry Ryan Jennings, Township Solicitor
Vice-Chairman Monahan Lisa Donlon, Township Engineer
Supervisor Sarro Neil Lovekin, Township Manager
Supervisor Vannote Hannah Christopher, Township Treasurer
Supervisor Matuszak Robert Clarke, Chief of Police
Jeff Simpson, Public Works Director
- PUBLIC COMMENT
Marilyn Quinn of Cherry Lane questioned Longwood Gardens and their plans for expansion and how would it effect the residents and what is scope of the plan.
James Sinclair of Liondale Farm on 926 asked if Toll Brothers has deeded the 26-acre parcel behind his property to the township. Mr. Sinclair is concerned with individuals trespassing and interacting with his livestock, and horses by feeding the animals.
James Chance of East Locust Drive followed up on Ms. Quinn’s question on Longwood Gardens and stated that constituents are interested in the parking and the expansion plans.
Laurie Prysock of Honeysuckle Lane asked if there would be the ability to ask questions regarding the audit that would be presented at the meeting.
Fred Biondi of Manor Drive asked whether the nuisance ordinance would address the band that practices late at night behind his home.
- GENERAL DISCUSSION
- Upcoming Events:
- PUBLIC HEARING
Solicitor Jennings opened the hearing to consider modifying the nuisance ordinance (2013-04) to regulate construction and maintenance activities. Solicitor Jennings presented five exhibits; Public Notice, Ordinance, Correspondence dated 5/27/2021 with Chester County Law Library, Planning Commission notes, Correspondence with Daily Local regarding notice for public inspection of the proposed ordinance.
- Vice Chair Monahan made a motion to approve Ordinance NO. 2021-04 amending Ordinance No.2013-04 of the code of East Marlborough to declare certain additional activities to be a nuisance under the term of the ordinance. Chairmen McKinstry seconded the motion. Motion carried 5-0.
- Supervisor Matuszak made a motion to approve Resolution No. 2021-6 recommending that the Pennsylvania general assembly adopt legislation to permit the use of virtual meeting platforms for public meetings held by municipalities. Vice Chair Monahan seconded the motion; motion carried by a vote of 5-0.
- Vice Chair Monahan made a motion to approve proclamation No. 2021-03 recognizing the month of June as the “National Pollinator Month”. Supervisor Matuszak seconded the motion. Motion carried 5-0.
- NEW BUSINESS
- Stephen Kutsuflakis of Barbacane and Thornton and Company presented the 2020 annual audit and financial report. Laurie Prysock of Honeysuckle Lane asked Mr. Kutsuflakis about the finding in the report. Supervisor Vannote made a motion to approve the 2020 Financial Audit; Vice Chair Monahan seconded. Motion carried 5-0.
- Vice Chair Monahan made a motion to engage Barsz, Gowie, Amon, Fultz an accounting firm to assist the township with finances not to exceed $5,000.00 per quarter. Supervisor Matuszak seconded. Motion carried 4-0 with Supervisor Sarro abstaining from vote.
- Supervisor Vannote made a motion to approve the Unionville Chadds Ford senior vehicle parade on June 9th. Vice Chair Monahan seconded; motion carried 5-0.
- Vice Chair Monahan made a motion to approve the special event application for UCFSD to hold the graduation on site at the athletic field on June 14th. Supervisor Matuszak seconded. Motion carried 5-0.
- Vice Chair Monahan denied the special Event request for the Chester County Balloon Festival after much discussion amongst the supervisors. Resident Jim Sinclair of Liondale Farm made comments regarding the fireworks spooking his horses. Vice Chair Monahan asked Rick Schiff and Debbie Harding to come back and make another presentation at the July 12th meeting with the removal of the fireworks and a plan acceptable to Emergency Management Services. Supervisor Sarro seconded. Motion carried 5-0.
- Supervisor Vannote made a motion to authorize staff to execute forms for the COVID-19 ARPA local fiscal recovery funds. Vice Chair Monahan seconded. Motion carried 5-0.
- Vice Chair Monahan made a motion to approve AECOM Technical Services to make a proposal to update sewage facilities (ACT 537) plan. Supervisor Sarro seconded. Motion carried 5-0.
- Vice Chair Monahan made a motion to accept the CO-OP bid awards for township roadway maintenance. Longs Asphalt Inc. and Asphalt Industries will complete the paving work and the oil and chipping work, respectively. Supervisor Sarro seconded. Motion carried 5-0.
- Vice Chair Monahan made a motion to approve Neil Land, Esquire to monitor the zoning Hearing Board meeting on June 30th. Supervisor Matuszak seconded the motion. Motion carried 4-0 with Supervisor Sarro abstaining due to a conflict of interest.
- Vice Chair Monahan made a motion to approve the amendment for the trail easement for Willowdale Town Center. Supervisor Sarro seconded. Motion carried 5-0.
- Supervisor Matuszak made a motion to approve the execution of purchase agreement for the Donze Agricultural conservation easement. Supervisor Sarro seconded. Motion carried 4-0 with Supervisor Vannote abstaining.
- No action was taken on virtual meetings and the opening of the township building for public meetings. Discussion occurred amongst the Board of Supervisors regarding hybrid meetings.
- Solicitor Ed Foley presented the reassignment of a tax ID number for 12 Lanefield Road. (Property of Mary Hazzard) No action was taken.
- Supervisor Sarro made a motion to accept Precision painting of Chester County offer to paint the front façade of the township police station. Vice Chair Monahan seconded; motion carried 5-0.
- Manager Lovekin presented two zoning hearing board applications. 761 Unionville Road applied for a variance for a home addition. Sovana Bistro applied for a variance for Mechanical Fencing for the AC unit. Planning Commission Walker presented a plan for tree buffers. Supervisor Vannote made a motion to issue a letter of support for the tree buffer from the Board of Supervisors. Vice Chair Monahan seconded; Motion carried 5-0.
- CONTINUING BUSINESS
- Engineer Donlon reviewed an escrow request #1 for phase 2 of Longwood Preserve and recommended a release of $52,915.06. Vice Chair Monahan made a motion to approve the recommended amount of escrow release #1 Phase 2 for Longwood Preserve, Supervisor Sarro seconded. Motion carried 5-0.
- Engineer Donlon recommended an escrow release for Marlborough Springs, Escrow Release #11 in the amount of $31,417.02. Supervisor Vannote made a motion to approve the recommended escrow release #11 for Marlborough Springs. Vice Chair Monahan seconded. Motion carried 5-0.
- Vice Chair Monahan made a motion to approve Engineer Donlons recommend escrow releases for Northridge Phase 1 a/b, ($25,185.00) Escrow release #19, Northridge, Phase 2-Escrow release #7($122,461.18) Chairman McKinstry seconded. Supervisor Vannote made a motion to approve the recommendation by Engineer Donlon regarding Northridge phase 3($859,999.36) being updated as the developer begins construction. Vice Chair Monahan seconded; motion carried 5-0.
- Supervisor Vannote made a motion to approve Engineer Donlon’s recommendation of an escrow release #4 of $951,595.00 for Unionville-Chadds Ford School District. Vice Chair Monahan seconded; motion carried 5-0.
- Manager Lovekin gave a status update on the strategic plan. Sessions should possibly begin August. No action was taken.
- APPROVAL OF MINUTES
Vice Chair Monahan made a motion to approve the May minutes with an attachment of a statement made by Vice Chair Monahan. Supervisor Sarro seconded; motion carried 5-0.
- TREASURERS REPORT AND MONTHLY BILLS
A motion was made by Vice Chair Monahan made a motion to approve the treasurers report and monthly bills for the month of May 2021, as amended to include the BBNT deposit of $1,020.00 for the Red Clay Bridge Loan. Supervisor Matuszak seconded; motion carried 5-0.
All business having been discussed, a motion was made by Vice Chair Monahan, seconded by Supervisor Vannote, and carried by a vote of 5-0 to adjourn the meeting at 10:46 p.m.
Treasurer/Assistant Township Manager
ONLINE PARTICIPATION ONLY
In an effort to minimize public exposure to COVID-19 and maintain social distancing, public meetings will be conducted via webinar. Neither Township officials nor members of the public will be able to participate in-person.
Members of the public may join online using an internet-enabled device at the following web link: https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/339029797, or by calling the toll-free phone number: 1 877 309 2073 Members of the public electing to join by phone must use the code: 339-029-797 followed by the pound key (#) when prompted.
Public Comment will be heard during each agenda item when called upon by the Chair of the Board of Supervisors. Questions may be submitted in advance to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you require special accommodation, please call the Township office at 610-444-0725.BOS Agenda 6-07-2021_vs2