Planning Commission Meeting 4/28/20
EAST MARLBOROUGH TOWNSHIP
Meeting Held Remotely via GoToMeeting
Due to COVID-19 Social Distancing Requirements
April 28, 2020 Meeting
- Attendance/Call to Order
Cuyler Walker, Chairman, called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m. on the on-line meeting platform, GoToMeeting. Additional Commissioners present: Jane Donze, Mary Nell Ferry, Pat Montague, Charles Streitwieser, Marnie Conley, and Rob Jerger. Township Manager, Neil Lovekin, and Assistant Manager, Hannah Christopher.
Also in Attendance: Supervisors Bobby McKinstry, John Sarro, Eric Matuszak, and Kathryn Monahan; Township Engineer, Lisa Donlon; and James Whitesel, Cathy Lee – K & W Engineering, Marc Singley, Shelley Mincer, Wendy Walker, Eric Tolt, Bette McConnell, and Patrick Stuart.
- Public Comment Period
No public comments.
- Unionville Chadds Ford School District: Athletic Fields (James Whitesel, Marc Singley, Cathy Lee)
Applicant proposes outdoor recreational facility enhancements at the Unionville High School and Charles F. Patton Middle School located on Unionville Road. The outdoor enhancements include the installation of a multi-use synthetic turf field, a varsity softball field, a middle school baseball field, associated utility structures, paths, and an 81-space parking lot along East Doe Run Road.
Waivers: The Planning Commission recommended that the Supervisors grant the following waivers requested by the applicant:
- Conley made a Motion to recommend the waiver request of preliminary plan approval to allow the preliminary plan approval to occur simultaneously with final plan approval. Donze seconded the Motion. All voted in favor, Motion carried.
- Ferry made a Motion to recommend the waiver of a shadow analysis. Donze seconded the Motion. All voted in favor, Motion carried.
Comments: The Planning Commission made the following comments in response to issues raised by the applicant and the Township consultants at the March 31 meeting.
- Sidewalks/Walking Trails. The Planning Commission noted that the applicant’s revised plans proposed a five-foot wide macadam walking trail set back from Doe Run Road extending from the entrance to the proposed parking area to the round-about at Rt. 82. The Planning Commission recommended that the applicant extend the walking trail to the east to the intersection with Oak Tree Road and to the southwest the length of the property along Rt. 82. McKinstry commented that he prefers the macadam to a cement surface. Whitesel commented that the District’s reservations about adding additional walking trails were due to the additional costs. The applicant was encouraged to review the sidewalk issue with the Board of Supervisors.
- Landscaping. The consensus of the Planning Commission was that the existing viewshed should be retained so a full buffer screen would not be appropriate. The applicant was encouraged to work with Glackin Thomas on an alternate landscape plan.
Outstanding issues in consultant review letters:
- Impervious Coverage. The Applicant’s proposed ground coverage is 28.5%, just under the 30% requirement and needs to be updated on the plan.
- Stormwater Management. To be worked out with Vandemark & Lynch.
- Landscape Buffer around Parking Area. To be worked out with Glackin Thomas.
- Lighting in Parking Area. Lighting is not an ordinance requirement and is not shown on the plan. Donze stated she prefers no lightning as it avoids light pollution and takes away from the beauty of the area. Mary Nell Ferry agreed with Donze’s comments, but felt some low level lighting would be beneficial for safety and security to avoid the area becoming a hangout area by the Community. Conley agreed with Ferry’s comments. The District does not feel lighting is necessary; the reduction of landscape buffering would allow the area to be clearly seen deterring the area from becoming a hangout. Whitesel stated he would have a gate installed if nighttime activity was reported. Cathy Lee will add a note to that effect to the plan.
- Emergency Vehicle Access. The District was asked to have Po-Mar-Lin Fire Company review and add notes to the plan.
- Overflow Parking. Walker suggested a sign be posted to let spectators know the location of overflow parking so parking on Route 82 would not occur.
Historic Barn. Township resident Shelley Mincer has strong concerns about the historic barn that is located on the site. The DIstrict plan did not address the barn, she feels the barn could be used for storage and/or bathrooms and concessions. Mincer suggested a note be added to the plan that the District not be permitted to demolish the barn due to neglect. Several members or the Planning Commission and the public also spoke in favor of preserving the historic structure. Walker suggested the District engage with John Rosecrans and the Historic Commission on the current condition of the barn and organize a meeting with the Community. Cathy Lee will add a note to the plan stating that the barn will not be demolished without engaging with the Township and following the permitting and other provisions of the Township ordinances pertaining to the demolition of historic structures.
Meeting adjourned at 8:27pm
Planning Commission Secretary
East Marlborough Township
721 Unionville Road
Kennett Square, PA 19348
April 28, 2020 – 7:00 PM
- Call to Order / Attendance
- Agenda copies are available at the door.
- Public Comment
- Review / Approve Minutes
- Meeting Minutes for March 31, 2020
- Unionville Chadds Ford School District: Athletic Fields – Review #2
Applicant proposes outdoor facility enhancements at the Unionville High School and Charles F. Patton Middle School located on Unionville Road. The outdoor enhancements include the installation of a multi-use synthetic turf field, a varsity softball field, a middle school baseball field, associated utility structures, paths, and an 81-space parking lot along East Doe Run Road.
Please join my meeting from your computer, tablet or smartphone.
You can also dial in using your phone.
United States (Toll Free): 1 866 899 4679
Access Code: 688-389-125
New to GoToMeeting? Get the app now and be ready for when the meeting starts:
Next Scheduled Meeting: May 26, 2020