Board of Supervisor’s Meeting – 8/3/20
August 3, 2020
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS 7:00 P.M.
721 Unionville Road
Kennett Square, PA 19348
- CALL TO ORDER
Present: Township Staff & Consultants:
Chairman McKinstry Ryan Jennings, Township Solicitor
Vice-Chairman Sarro Lisa Donlon, Township Engineer
Supervisor Monahan Neil Lovekin, Township Manager
Supervisor Matuszak Traffic Engineer Gerry Baker
Supervisor Vannote Hannah Christopher, Township Treasurer
Robert Clarke, Chief of Police Jeff Simpson, Public Works Director
- PUBLIC COMMENT
There was no public comment.
- GENERAL DISCUSSION
- UPCOMING EVENTS
- There are none.
- There was an executive session at 6:30 p.m. before the regular meeting to discuss a personnel matter.
- The Open Space, Recreation and Environmental Resources plan will have a virtual presentation open to the public on August 19th at 7 p.m. This will be led by the Brandywine Conservancy. For meeting details please contact HChristopher@eastmarborough.org for log in details.
- NEW BUSINESS
- Representative Chrissy Houlihan from the 6th district was represented by her legislative aide Kim Floersheim. Floersheim updated the Board on the legislature and district business. . Presently Representative Houlihan is working on wage garnishments, student loans, scheduling events and congressional commendations. The first heroes act was passed recently. Chairman McKinstry asked about sustainable energy and the ways it is being implemented into our district. Ms. Floersheim relayed that Rep Houlihan takes this matter seriously and is looking into ways of investing in new material for our defense department.
- West Locust Lane residents were represented by Ruthie Kranz- Carl who came before the Board to review recommendations by Traffic Planning and Design for Traffic Calming and reduction of speeders. Kranz- Carl requested that the township provide painting of speed limit in the road, working radar signs., and stop signs at Beverly and West Locust, and Fairthorne and West Locust. Engineer Baker said that stops signs are not legal or warranted at those intersections. Supervisor Monahan thanked the residents for coming forward and asked that we consider a comprehensive study of all the roads of the townships. Supervisor Monahan made a motion to approve West Locust Lane’s residents’ 3 requests with more research on the stop signs by engineer Baker. Vice Chairman Sarro seconded, motion carried with a vote of 5-0.
- Denis Glaccum asked for special event permission for the Plantation Field International Horse Trials on September 16-20th. He stated there will be no spectators and all Covid 19 precautions will be in place. Resident Andy Skean of Chalfont Road asked about precautions of individuals coming from other areas of the country and internationally. Supervisor Vannote made a motion and Supervisor Matuszak seconded. Motion carried 5-0.
- Township Manager Lovekin presented on the Bennett’s Run watershed planning process. The Brandywine Conservancy and its partners, the Stroud Water Research Center and the Brandywine Red Clay Alliance have led the project to come up with a plan to conserve and to help protect and enhance its natural unique natural assets. The Bennett Run Watershed project would like a representative on the Watershed Conservation Study. The Environmental Advisory Council will select a representative at their next meeting.
- Appointment to the Environmental Advisory Council; the EAC interviewed three candidates for the one opening and decided all three candidates were well qualified. A decision was made to pass a resolution to increase the EAC to 7 members instead of five.
- RESOLUTION 2020-31: ENVIRONMENTAL ADVISORY COUNCIL- MEMBERSHIP INCREASE
New members of the EAC are the following: Jonathon Perse, Gloria Michener and Timothy Cahill. .
Supervisor Vannote made a motion and supervisor Monahan seconded, the motion carried with a 5-0 vote.
- RESOLUTION 2020-32: A VISION FOR A 100% CLEAN ENERGY FUTURE
This resolution is for a vision of a 100% clean energy future. Supervisor Matuszak made a motion, Chairman McKinstry seconded. Motion carried with a vote of 5-0.
- RESOLUTION 2020-33: SETTING THE SALARY FOR THE OFFICE OF TOWNSHIP MANAGER
In the executive session before the regular board meeting the supervisors agreed to increase Township Managers Salary after his six-month review. Lovekin’s review was favorable so an increase was warranted. A salary survey was completed of surrounding township managers and his compensation is now comprable. Vice Chairman Sarro made a motion, supervisor Monahan seconded. Motion carries with a vote of 5-0.
- CONTINUING BUSINESS
- Northridge Escrow Release #9 Engineer Donlon recommended a release of $42,266.64. Chairman McKinstry made a motion, Supervisor Monahan seconded. Motion carried with a vote of 5-0.
- APPROVAL OF MINUTES
The Special minutes were presented for review. The meeting took place on May 27th, 2020. The meeting was virtual and open to the public. Candidates were interviewed for the open Supervisor position. Supervisor Matuszak made a motion, Vice Chairman Sarro seconded. Motion carried with a vote of 5-0.
- TREASURERS REPORT AND MONTHLY BILLS
A motion was made by Supervisor Matuszak, seconded by Vice Chairman Sarro, and carried by a vote of 5-0, to approve the Treasurer’s Report and the Monthly Bills for the month of July 2020, as submitted.
All business having been discussed, a motion was made by Supervisor Monahan, seconded by Chairman McKinstry, and carried by a vote of 5-0 to adjourn the meeting at 8:55 p.m.
ONLINE PARTICIPATION ONLY
In an effort to minimize public exposure to COVID-19 and maintain social distancing, public meetings will be conducted via webinar and will be recorded. Neither Township officials nor members of the public will be able to participate in person.
Members of the public may join online using an internet-enabled device at
https://www.gotomeet.me/EastMarlboroughTownship/board-of-supervisors—august-3rd or by calling the toll-free phone number: 1-866-899-4679. Members of the public electing to join by phone must use the code: 279-328-045 followed by the pound key (#) when prompted.
Public Comment will be heard during each agenda item when called upon by the Chair of the Board of Supervisors.
Questions may be submitted in advance to email@example.com.
If you require special accommodation, please call the Township office at 610-444-0725.
Click to download: Public_Packet
1. CALL TO ORDER
2. PUBLIC COMMENT
3. GENERAL DISCUSSION
- Executive Session held on Monday, August 3, 2020
- Open Space, Recreation, & Environmental Resources Plan – Virtual Presentation Brandywine Conservancy – August 19, 2020
4. NEW BUSINESS
District and Legislative Updates – Chrissy Houlahan, U.S. Representative
West Locust Lane – Traffic Calming Measures
Plantation Field International Horse Trials – Special Event Permission
Bennett Run Watershed – Representation on the Watershed Conservation Plan Study Committee
Appointment to the Environmental Advisory Council – Vacancy Fulfillment
5. Resolution 2020-31: ENVIRONMENTAL ADVISORY COUNCIL – MEMBERSHIP INCREASE
6. Resolution 2020-32: A VISION FOR A 100% CLEAN ENERGY FUTURE
7. RESOLUTION 2020-33: SETTING THE SALARY FOR THE OFFICE OF TOWNSHIP MANAGER
8. CONTINUING BUSINESS
Northridge – Escrow Release #9
9. APPROVAL OF MINUTES
10. TREASURER’S REPORT & MONTHLY BILLS