Board of Supervisors Meeting 1/3/22 7PM
January 3, 2022 Reorganization meeting 7 P.M.
Meeting held at the Municipal Building, 721 Unionville Road, Kennett Square, PA 19348
Meeting will be broadcasted via the GoToMeeting platform. Online participation details on website (www.eastmarlborough.org)
- OATH OF OFFICE FOR ELECTED OFFICIALS
The honorable Al Iacocca, Magisterial District Judge swore in Kathryn Monahan for her new term as an elected official. Additionally Judge Iacocca swore in Burly Vannote for his term commencing in 2022.
- CALL TO ORDER
- ELECTION OF OFFICERS
- Supervisor Vannote made a motion to nominate Robert McKinstry Jr. as the Chair for the upcoming year. Eric Matuszak seconded; motion carried 4-0 with Supervisor Vannote voting no.
- Supervisor Matuszak made a motion to nominate Burly Vannote as Vice Chair; Supervisor Sarro seconded; motion carried 4-0 with Supervisor Monahan voting no. ;
- Supervisor Monahan made a motion to nominate herself as Chair and Supervisor Matuszak as Vice Chair. Supervisor Matuszak indicated he was not interested; motion was not seconded; therefore, the motion was lost. Supervisor made a statement as to why she should be Chair and asked if this was discussed between supervisors beforehand.
- Chairman McKinstry nominated Neil Lovekin to be Township Manager & Secretary. Vice Chair Vannote seconded. Motion carried 5-0. Bond should be set for amount of money in all accounts.
- Chairman McKinstry nominated Hannah Christopher as Treasurer and Assistant Secretary. Vice Chair Vannote seconded; motion carried 4-0 with Supervisor Monahan voting no. Supervisor Monahan stated that she thought Peter Barsz with his experience should be appointed treasurer. After discussion the board voted to set bond in the amount as how much money we have in accounts.
- Chairman McKinstry made a motion to nominate Jefferey Simpson as Public Works Director/Roadmaster. Supervisor Monahan seconded. Motion carried 5-0.
- Chairman McKinstry made a motion to nominate Robert Clarke, Jr. as police chief
- Emergency Management Coordinator – Robert Clarke, Jr.
- Building Inspector – United Inspection Agency, Inc.
- Codes & Zoning Enforcement Officer – Charlie Shock
- Solicitor – Unruh, Turner, Burke & Frees
- Tax Collector – Berkheimer Associates
- Local Services Tax Collector – Keystone Collections Group
- Township Engineer – VanDemark & Lynch, Inc.
- Township Wastewater Engineer – AECOM, Inc.
- Landscape Architect Consultant – Glackin, Thomas and Panzak, Inc.
- Traffic Planning Engineer – Traffic Planning and Design
- Registered Elector – Jeffrey Groves
- Library Representatives – Tom Swett and Margaret Egli
- Fire Marshal – United Inspection Agency, Inc.
- Assistant Fire Marshal – Robert C. Clarke, Jr.
- Open Records Officer for Administration – Hannah Christopher
- Deputy Open Records Officer for Administration – Neil Lovekin
- Open Records Officer for Police – Robert C. Clarke, Jr.
- RESOLUTION NO. 2022–01: PLANNING COMMISSION APPOINTMENTS
(MOVED TO REGULAR MEETING DUE TO NEW APPOINTMENT)
- RESOLUTION NO. 2022–02: HISTORICAL COMMISSION APPOINTMENTS
- RESOLUTION NO. 2022–03: HISTORIC ARCHITECTURAL REVIEW BOARD APPOINTMENTS (MOVED TO REGULAR MEETING DUE TO RESIGNATIONS)
- RESOLUTION NO. 2022–04: ENVIRONMENTAL ADVISORY COUNCIL APPOINTMENTS
- RESOLUTION NO. 2022–05: UNIONVILLE AREA REGIONAL PLANNING COMMISSION APPOINTMENTS
- RESOLUTION NO. 2022–06: ZONING HEARING BOARD APPOINTMENTS
- RESOLUTION NO. 2022–07: KENNETT FIRE & EMS REGIONAL COMMISSION APPOINTMENTS
- RESOLUTION NO. 2022–08: PSATS DELEGATE APPOINTMENTS
- RESOLUTION NO. 2022–09: BUILDING CODE APPEALS BOARD APPOINTMENTS
- RESOLUTION NO. 2022–10: DESIGNATING EMERGENCY SERVICE PROVIDERS
- RESOLUTION NO. 2022–11: TOWNSHIP FUND DEPOSITORIES & CHECK SIGNERS
- RESOLUTION NO. 2022–12: OFFICE OF TOWNSHIP MANAGER COMPENSATION
- RESOLUTION NO. 2022–13: TOWNSHIP MEETINGS SCHEDULE
- PUBLIC COMMENT
REGULAR MEETING OF THE BOARD OF SUPERVISORS TO
COMMENCE IMMEDIATELY AFTERWARDS
January 3, 2022
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS 7:00 P.M.
721 Unionville Road
Kennett Square, PA 19348
- CALL TO ORDER
Present: Township Staff & Consultants:
Chairman McKinstry Ryan Jennings, Township Solicitor
Vice-Chair Monahan Chief Robert Clarke
Supervisor Sarro Neil Lovekin, Township Manager
Supervisor Vannote Hannah Christopher, Township Treasurer
Jeff Simpson, Public Works Director
Chairman McKinstry announced there was an executive session on December 21st to discuss personnel matters, and an additional executive session will take place after tonight’s meeting to discuss a legal and personnel matter.
- PUBLIC COMMENT
There was not any public comment from the public.
- NEW BUSINESS
- Jeff Groves from PO MAR LIN fire company presented the fire company’s strategic plan which covers 2021-2026. Groves requested that the strategic plan is posted on the township website. Gabby Ratliffe of N. Mill Road company commended Mr. Groves and the fire company on a great job. Cuyler Walker of Wollaston Road emphasized the need for volunteers and thanked the Po Mar Lin fire company for all they do for the community.
- Adam Gregori gave a presentation to the board for a COVID safety plan for the Unionville Recreation baseball season for 2022. They will meet Chester County and School districts COVID safety protocols. Gregori requested a link to URA on the township web site.
- Jeff Yetter of the Kennett Library gave a brief overview of the status of the new Kennett Library. Yetter introduced Christopher Mana, the new director of the Kennett library.
- Supervisor Monahan made a motion to advertise the proposed appointment of BD, LLP, certified auditors for the 2021 township audit to be resolved on February 7th. Supervisor Matuszak seconded; motion carried 5-0.
- Vice Chair Vannote made a motion to appoint Josh Kauffman to the planning commission and to approve resolution 2022-01 for the appointments to the planning commission. Supervisor Monahan seconded; motion carried 4-0. Supervisor Sarro abstained.
- Supervisor Monahan made a motion to authorize the township treasurer to transfer $10,233.76 from the operating reserve fund to the fire and emergency services fund for 2022. 1st quarter payment to the Kennett Regional Fire and EMS commission in the amount of $157,888.01. Vice Chair Vannote seconded; motion carried 5-0.
- Supervisor Matuszak made a motion to accept Doug Mooberry and Art Bernardon’s resignation from the historic architectural review board. Supervisor Monahan seconded; motion carried 5-0.
- Vice Chair Vannote made a motion to advertise vacancies for the HARB. Supervisor Monahan seconded; motion carried 5-0. Supervisor Monahan seconded. Motion carried 5-0.
- Chairman McKinstry made a motion to authorize the township solicitor to create an ordinance that allows Berkheimer Associates to add sewer billing as a line item to the township tax bill. Supervisor Monahan seconded; motion carried 5-0.
- Township Manager lead a discussion of creating supervisor committees for township wide operations and expenditures. Two supervisors will be assigned to each committee. No action was taken.
- ZONING HEARING BOARD APPLICATIONS
- A variance has been requested for 205 Ridgecote Lane to permit construction of a new single family home detached dwelling and related improvements on the property that will increase the total lot coverage to 22 % where the maximum permitted lot coverage is 20 %. The hearing is scheduled Wednesday, January 12, 2022. No action was taken.
- A variance has been requested for 112 Marlbrooke Way to permit construction of a new home addition and a deck that will encroach into existing nonconforming lot setbacks. The hearing is scheduled Wednesday, January 12, 2022. No action was taken.
- A variance was requested for 807 Great Oak Lane to permit a fence to remain on the property that is six feet high where five feet high is the maximum permitted fence height. The hearing is scheduled for January 12, 2022. No action was taken.
- TOWNSHIP DEPARTMENTS MONTHLY REPORTS
- Public Works Director Jeff Simpson, Chief Clark and Township manager Neil Lovekin gave their monthly reports.
- TREASURER’S REPORT AND MONTHLY BILLS
Supervisor Monahan made a motion to approve the treasurers report and the monthly bills. Vice Chair Vannote seconded. Motion carried 5-0.
- APPROVAL OF MINUTES
Supervisor Monahan approved the December 2021 minutes as presented; Vice Chair Vannote seconded; motion carried 5-0.
All business having been discussed, a motion was made by Supervisor Monahan, seconded by Chairman McKinstry, and carried by a vote of 5-0 to adjourn the meeting at 9:35 p.m.
Hannah Christopher, Treasurer/Assistant Township Manager
For the meeting minutes for the January 3, 2022 Board Meeting, REORGANIZATION MEETING
- ELECTION OF OFFICERS, CHAIR AND VICE CHAIR
Supervisor Vannote nominated Supervisor McKinstry to continue to serve as Chair of the Board. Supervisor Matuszak seconded the nomination. Supervisor Monahan asked for discussion before the vote and stated that with all due respect to her fellow supervisors, she nominated herself as Chair for these reasons: “I am the Vice Chair and it has been the tradition in this township to appoint the Vice Chair as Chair. In addition, I have been a supervisor for two years and have demonstrated that I am well prepared for meetings, have attended all board meetings, and through my participation in meetings that I can provide leadership to manage our meetings in an efficient and effective manner. I also think it is appropriate to rotate the role of Chair…”
Supervisor Monahan then nominated Supervisor Matuszak to serve as Vice Chair. Supervisor Matuszak declined to be nominated as Vice Chair and nominated Supervisor Vannote. Supervisor Monahan asked her fellow Supervisors if they had discussed these nominations amongst themselves prior to the meeting and noted that she had no prior knowledge that her fellow Board members had planned these nominations. Supervisor Matusak stated that Supervisors McKinstry, Vannote, Sarro and he had not previously discussed these nominations.
- APPOINTMENT OF TREASURER
Supervisor Monahan stated that “The last time we as a Board discussed the appointment of our Treasurer it was to be our financial consultants. This made sense to me for a number of reasons including that our current Treasurer is working part-time and is expecting to retire soon. I think that we should be appointing our financial consultants as Treasurer given their expertise and their familiarity with our township fiscal and financial matters. It would also facilitate a transition upon Hannah’s retirement. I also re-assert my recommendation that we authorize the hiring of a Financial Officer as recommended by our Township Manager.”