Board of Supervisors 7PM – 9/13/21
REGULAR MEETING September 13, 2021
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS 7:00 P.M.
721 Unionville Road
Kennett Square, PA 19348
- CALL TO ORDER
Present: Township Staff & Consultants:
Chairman McKinstry Ross Unruh, Township Solicitor
Vice-Chair Monahan Lisa Donlon, Township Engineer
Supervisor Sarro Neil Lovekin, Township Manager
Supervisor Vannote Hannah Christopher, Township Treasurer
Jeff Simpson, Public Works Director
- PUBLIC COMMENT
Tom Drake of Unionville- Wawaset Road asked if comments made in public comment are addressed by the Supervisors. Chairman McKinstry responded “yes”.
- GENERAL DISCUSSION
- UPCOMING EVENTS
Chairman McKinstry announced several special events that are on the East Marlborough Township calendar. The Plantation Field International Horse Trials will take place September 15th thru the 19th. Chester County House tours will be on October 2nd from 10 A.M. until 5:00 P.M. The Lights Festival will be on October 2nd. Longwood Gardens has fireworks on September 25th and October 23rd at 8:15 P.M. The Mushroom Cap Half Marathon will be running on November 13th from 8A.M. until 12:00 P.M.
Chairman McKinstry announced that there will be an executive session after tonight’s meeting to discuss personnel, potential litigation, and real estate matters. McKinstry also announced that a conditional use hearing will be on September 16th regarding 891 East Baltimore Pike at 7 P.M. at the township building. Additionally, another conditional use hearing was announced regarding 802 East Baltimore Pike on October 13th at 6:30 P.M.
- CONTINUING BUSINESS
a. Supervisor Vannote made a motion to approve resolution number 2021-33; Longwood Preserve letter of credit 21-06 and to authorize a release of Phase 2, Escrow #4 for Longwood Preserve in the requested amount of $345,477.61 as recommended by Engineer Donlon. Supervisor Sarro seconded; motion carried 4-0
b. Supervisor Vannote made a motion to approve the Escrow release #22 for phase 1 a/b for Northridge and phase 2 Escrow release #10 and Phase 3 escrow release #1 in the amount of $129,195.72 and $8,709.81 and $31,680.72 respectively as recommended by Engineer Donlon. Vice Chair Monahan seconded; motion carried 4-0.
c. Vice Chair Monahan authorized an escrow release #7 in the amount of $115,608.13 for UCFSD as recommended by Engineer Donlon. Supervisor Vannote seconded; motion carried 4-0.
d. Engineer Donlon presented the annual MS4 status report. She recommended for the board chair to sign the certification page and to submit the report to the PA Dept. of Environmental Protection. Vie Chair Monahan authorize signing the report. Supervisor Sarro seconded; motion carried 4-0.
- TOWNSHIP DEPARTMENTS REPORTS
- Chief Clarke gave a report from the police department regarding traffic calming and which roads had requested a police presence. Chief gave a report on the zones in East Marlborough and how many calls for each zone.
- Public Works Director Jeff Simpson gave his monthly report. He updated the board on the status of the route 82/Cedarcroft signal project, summer paving projects and the East Locust Bridge. Simpson also updated the board on the sludge removal from the Wollaston Road sewer plant.
- TREASURERS REPORT AND MONTHLY BILLS
A motion was made by Supervisor Sarro to approve the treasurers report and monthly bills for the month of July 2021. Supervisor Vannote seconded; motion carried 4-0.
- NEW BUSINESS
- Peter Barsz of Barsz, Gowie, Amon, Fultz gave an update on the engagement letter from the firm to perform financial services for the township. Barsz requested more funding to expand their services. He anticipated the additional services to cost between $14,000 and $17,000 dollars. Vice Chair Monahan made a motion to approve the engagement letter, Chairman McKinstry seconded. Supervisor Sarro and Supervisor Vannote abstained. The motion was tabled. Chairman McKinstry made a second motion to remove the $5,000.00 limit for this quarter up until October 4th. Vice Chair Monahan seconded; motion carried 4-0.
- Supervisor Sarro made a motion to outsource payroll services and to engage Evolution payroll services. Supervisor Vannote seconded. Motion carried 4-0.
- Manager Lovekin presented the 2022 Minimum Municipal Obligation for the Non-Uniformed Pension Plan ($75,308.00) and the Uniformed Pension Plan. ($34,624.00)
- Jessie Mooberry and Soren Rubin from Farm and Company came before the board with a request to modify the 2013 Conditional Use Order .to include their small batch beer in accordance with paragraph 14 of the order. The board tabled the motion until a more detailed plan is brought forward.
- RESOLUTION NO. 2021-34
Supervisor Vannote made a motion to approve resolution number 2021-34 to apply for the filing of an application to the Chester County Vison Partnership program to advance the Kennett area, Longwood Gardens for a connector trail feasibility study. Vice Chair Monahan seconded; motion carried 4-0.
- Vice Chair Monahan made a motion to approve Resolution number 2021-35 for a sewage facility planning module for 518 Beechwood Drive and the installation and maintenance agreement for a small stream treatment facility at the same address. Supervisor Vannote seconded; motion carried 4-0.
- Vice Chair Monahan made a motion to approve the August 2021 minutes. Supervisor Sarro seconded; motion carried 5-0.
All business having been discussed, a motion was made by Supervisor Sarro, seconded by Supervisor Vannote, and carried by a vote of 4-0 to adjourn the meeting at 9:19 p.m.
Respectfully submitted, Hannah Christopher, Treasurer/Assistant Township Manager
MEETING WILL TAKE PLACE IN THE PUBLIC WORKS GARAGE, LOCATED BEHIND THE ADMINISTRATION BUILDING.
Agenda Deadline is 12:00 p.m. the Wednesday prior to the Board Meeting
CALL TO ORDER
- Plantation Field International Horse Trails, Sept. 15th thru 19th
- Chester County House Tours, Oct. 2nd (10 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.)
- Lights Festival, Oct. 2nd (gates open at 4:00 p.m.)
- Longwood Gardens’ Fireworks, Sept. 25th & Oct. 23rd (8:15 p.m.)
- Mushroom Cap Half Marathon, Nov. 13th (8 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.)
- Executive Session after tonight’s meeting to discuss personnel, potential litigation, and real estate matters
- 891 E. Baltimore Pike, Conditional Use Hearing, Sept. 16th at 7;00 p.m.
- 802 E. Baltimore Pike, Inc. Conditional Use Hearing, Oct. 13th at 6:30 p.m.
- Longwood Preserve, Phase 2 – Escrow Release #4
- RESOLUTION NO. 2021-33: LONGWOOD PRESERVE LETTER OF CREDIT 21-06
- Northridge, Phase 1a/b – Escrow Release #22
- Northridge, Phase 2 – Escrow Release #10
- Northridge, Phase 3 – Escrow Release #1
- Unionville-Chadds Ford School District – Escrow Release #7
- Annual MS4 Status Report – Presentation by VanDemark & Lynch, Inc
- Recommendation for Board Chair to Sign Certification Page, and to Submit Report to PA Dept. of Environmental Protection
TOWNSHIP DEPARTMENTS – MONTHLY REPORTS
TREASURER’S REPORT & MONTHLY BILLS
- Financial Consultant Engagement Update – Presentation by Barsz Gowie Amon Fultz
- Outsourcing Payroll Services – Discussion and Selection
- 2022 Minimum Municipal Obligation for Non-Uniform Pension Plan
- 2022 Minimum Municipal Obligation for Uniformed Pension Plan
- 6 Cemetery Lane (Farm & Co.) – Request to Modify the 2013 Condition Use Order
- Multi-Municipal Vision Partnership Grant Application for Longwood Gardens Connector Trail Feasibility Study
RESOLUTION NO. 2021-34: LONGWOOD GARDENS CONNECTOR TRAIL FEASIBILITY STUDY, EXPRESSING SUPPORT FOR THE FILING OF AN APPLICATION TO THE CHESTER COUNTY VISION PARTNERSHIPS PROGRAM – CASH GRANT AND MATCH FUNDS
RESOLUTION NO. 2021-35: SEWAGE FACILITIES PLANNING MODULE FOR 518 BEECHWOOD DRIVE
INSTALLATION AND MAINTENANCE AGREEMENT FOR SMALL STREAM TREATMENT FACILITY AT 518 BEECHWOOD DRIVE
APPROVAL OF MINUTES