Board of Supervisors 7PM -12/6/21
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS 7:00 P.M.
721 Unionville Road December 6, 2021
Kennett Square, PA 19348
- CALL TO ORDER
Present: Township Staff & Consultants:
Chairman McKinstry Ryan Jennings, Township Solicitor
Vice-Chair Monahan Chief Robert Clarke
Supervisor Sarro Neil Lovekin, Township Manager
Supervisor Vannote Hannah Christopher, Township Treasurer
Jeff Simpson, Public Works Director
Absent: Supervisor Matuszak
Chairman McKinstry announced there was an executive session on December 2nd to discuss personnel matters, and an additional executive session will take place after tonight’s meeting to discuss a personnel matter.
- PUBLIC COMMENT
James Chance of East Locust Lane gave kudos on the budget and having the proper chart of accounts. He said it is money well spent and the right people are doing the job.
Jean O’Donnell of Astilbe Lane has lived in numerous places and has worked in government. Neil is responsive and she thanks the staff.
Beth Chance of East Locust Lane has heard gossip that there was a “toxic environment” and she plans on checking in with the office weekly. Neil is ready to do the job; she stated.
Shelley Mincer of Lantana Drive thanked the road crew for taking care of the park. Mincer said the tree at the park was decorated and it looks great.
Gretchen Parisi of Fox Hollow Drive stated that the township is running smoothly.
Ruthie Kranz-Carl of West Locust Lane said she did not think many of the supervisors were prepared for the discussion of the preliminary budget and felt they were scrambling. The only two that did their homework was Neil Lovekin and Kathryn Monahan.
Chris Anderson of Potter Drive is concerned about the new traffic pattern on 82 at the intersection of Unicorn Lane. Visibility is an issue she stated due to the bamboo on the corner of Unicorn and route 82. MS. Anderson spoke to Public Works Director Simpson in the morning. She thanked the Crew from the Public Works Department for treating them like family in Cedarcroft.
Mary Boeni of Potter Drive said she went to the office and went through all the minutes and found very few mentions of the Cedarcroft Light project at route 82 and route 1. She would like to put projects out for public comment, and she wants that bamboo removed at Unicorn. She stated that she wants a sign posted at Gatehouse to notify drivers that there is a new traffic pattern.
Cliff Byars of Unicorn Lane would like a solution for the noise and stormwater issue if the bamboo is removed from his property. He stated that he would like a brake retardant restriction for large trucks on route 82 and said the median/bump on 82 created a rattle when vehicles drove over it and would like it removed.
Ellen Sosangelis said that the residents approves of transparency from the township. She gave two examples, firstly the conditional use hearing at 802 E. Baltimore Pike and the approved impervious cover of 63 percent. She wanted to know why the exception. Solicitor Jennings replied that there were three public hearings open to the public and there were thirty conditions applied to the applicant. Ms. Sosangelis was also concerned that she was not notified on two Zoning Hearing Board request for variances however was notified regarding the Burns on Ridgecote. Solicitor Jennings replied that there were safeguards in place and neighbors within three hundred feet are indeed notified regarding the hearings. Sosangelis stated she would like to see a newsletter from the township become a reality.
James Chance of East Locust asked residents in attendance to please hold their hands up if they supported Manager Lovekin.
- PROCLAMATION 2021-05
Supervisor Vannote made a motion to approve proclamation 2021-05 honoring Martha Walls Brown service. Supervisor Sarro seconded; motion carried 4-0.
- CERTIFICATE OF APPROPRIATENESS FOR 37 BUFFINGTON STREET
Susan and Jake Elks came before the board to ask for their approval for a project that they would like to complete on their home in the historic district. The HARB did not approve their plans (due to windows being vinyl), therefore they are asking the board of supervisors for their approval. After discussion Vice Chair Monahan made a motion to approve the certificate of appropriateness for 37 Buffington Street subject to matching the trim and windows to the existing trim and windows that are presently on the home. Supervisor Vannote seconded; motion carried 4-0.
- WILLOWDALE LANE PETITION FOR ADDITONAL SPEED HUMP
After much discussion between the residents of Willowdale Lane and Chief Clarke, Public Works Director Simpson and the supervisors, Vice Chair Monahan made a motion to approve a third speed hump on Willowdale Lane. Supervisor Sarro seconded the motion; however, would like criteria for speed humps in the township discussed in the next meeting. Motion carried 4-0.
- CONDITONAL AUTHORIZATION TO ADVERTISE THE BID PACKAGE FOR EAST LOCUST LANE BRIDGE REPAIR
Chairman McKinstry made a motion to authorize advertising for the bid package for the East Locust Lane Bridge replacement project based on obtaining the right of way and easements on East Locust Lane. Vice Chair seconded; motion carried 4-0.
- DISCUSSION OF THE APPROVED PRELIMINARY 2022 TOWNSHIP BUDGET
Vice Chair Monahan made a motion to approve resolution 2021-40 adopting the 2022 Township Budget. Supervisor Vannote said he had questions before taking a vote on the budget. After discussion amongst the residents and the supervisors the motion was amended by Supervisor Vannote to reallocate the following items from the General (Operating) Fund to the Capital Improvement/Building Fund, totaling $236,110.00: 1) Rt. 82 and Cedarcroft Road totaling $61,110.00, 2) Bridge Repairs totaling $75,000.00, and 3) MS4 & TMDL Plan totaling $100,000.00. Chairman McKinstry seconded; motion unanimously carried 4-0.
- RESOLUTION NO 2021-41
Supervisor Sarro made a motion to approve resolution 2021-41 reaffirming the township tax rates for 2022. Supervisor Vannote seconded.
- AGREEMENT PROHIBITING DEVELOPMENT OF “FUTURE PHASE” IMPROVEMENTS FOR UNIONVILLE CHADDS FORD SCHOOL DISTRICT
Supervisor Vannote made a motion to approve the agreement prohibiting the development of “future phase” improvements for UCFSD. Vice Chair Monahan seconded; motion carried 4-0.
- CONTINUING BUSINESS
- Vice Chair Monahan made a motion to approve resolution number 2021-42; Longwood Preserve letter of credit 21-06 and to authorize a release of Phase 2, Escrow #7 for Longwood Preserve in the amount of $163,374.81 as recommended by Engineer Donlon. Supervisor Vannote seconded; motion carried 4-0.
- Supervisor Vannote made a motion to approve the escrow release request from Northridge for $20,000.00 for phases 1 a/b (escrow release #24) , phase 2, (escrow release #12) in the amount of $59,500.00, both recommended by Engineer Donlon. Vice Chair seconded; motion carried 4-0.
- Supervisor Vannote made a motion to approved Engineer Donlon’s recommended escrow release #9 and final escrow release for Unionville Chadds Ford School District in the amount of $416,642.70. Supervisor Sarro seconded; motion carried 4-0.
- NEW BUSINESS
- The Environmental Council recommended a list of suggested projects for Vandemark and Lynch to pursue for TMDL. No action was taken by the board.
- Vice Chair Monahan made a motion to add 139 East Doe Run Road to the historic and cultural resource map. Supervisor Sarro seconded; motion carried 4-0.
- Supervisor Sarro made a motion to appoint John Rosecrans as a township representative for the Unionville Trolley, a wall restoration project with Toll Brothers Inc. Chair McKinstry seconded; motion carried 4-0.
- Supervisor Vannote made a motion to approve the engagement agreement for BBD, LLP for 2021 professional auditing services. Supervisor Sarro seconded; motion carried 4-0.
- Vice Chair Monahan made a motion to accept Robert Jerger’s resignation from the planning commission and to authorize advertising the vacancy. Chairman McKinstry seconded; motion carried 4-0.
- No action was taken on discussion of the receipt of the municipal engineering firms’ proposals. Discussion will take place at an executive session.
- RESOLUTION NO 2021-43
Supervisor Sarro made a motion to approve resolution 2021-43 temporarily closing certain roads in the township due to no winter maintenance service. Vice Chair Monahan seconded; motion carried 4-0.
- TOWNSHIP DEPARTMENTS MONTHLY REPORTS
- Public Works Director and Chief Clarke gave their monthly department reports.
- TREASURER’S REPORT AND MONTHLY BILLS
Supervisor Vannote made a motion to approve the treasurers report and the monthly bills. Vice Chair Monahan seconded. Motion carried 4-0.
- APPROVAL OF MINUTES
Supervisor Vannote approved the November 2021 minutes as presented; Vice Chair Monahan seconded; motion carried 4-0.
All business having been discussed, a motion was made by Supervisor Vannote, seconded by Supervisor Sarro, and carried by a vote of 4-0 to adjourn the meeting at 11:00 p.m.
Hannah Christopher, Township Treasurer & Assistant Secretary