EAST MARLBOROUGH TOWNSHIP
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
Meeting of the Board – February 4, 2019
Chairman Sarro called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m. with the following people in attendance: Supervisors McKinstry, Hannum, and Jameson. Solicitor Unruh, Planning Commission Chairman Walker, Public Works Director Simpson and Township Manager Prysock were also in attendance.
Pledge of Alliance and Public Comment Period. Resident Shelley Mincer asked if the park paths are kept free of snow and ice during the winter. Chairman Sarro said the Supervisors had decided not to treat the paths during the winter due to the high cost.
Approval of Minutes. The Supervisors voted unanimously 4-0 to approve the minutes for the January 7th meeting.
Walnut Walk Phase 1 Escrow Release #14. Based on the recommendation of Engineer Jim Hatfield an escrow release was requested in the amount of 3,000. The Supervisors voted 4-0 to approve the release.
Longwood Preserve Escrow Release #7. Based on the recommendation of Engineer Jim Hatfield an escrow release was requested in the amount of $106,651.40. The Supervisors voted 4-0 to approve the release.
Po-Mar-Lin Rescue Vehicle. Per IRS rules, the township must provide written consent prior to Po-Mar-Lin signing a contract to purchase a new rescue vehicle. The township will not have any obligation for the vehicle. The Supervisors voted 4-0 to authorize signature of the document.
Walmart Garden Center Expansion.
Lance Ranson represented Walmart to request approval to install an Outdoor Garden Center which would be located on the eastside of the store in the overflow parking area. The area would be approximately 230’ x 54’ to display plants, soils, mulch etc. The proposed hours of operation are 7:00 a.m to 10 p.m. from April 15th to August 15th. Chairman Sarro asked the manager to check the emergency access road to make sure there is something in place to prohibit cars from entering. The manager said they would replace the chain but it would remain unlocked. Mr. Sarro also asked if they could increase the frequency of picking up trash on the property. The Supervisors voted 4-0 to approve the temporary expansion for the Garden Center.
Conditional Use Decision for NeuDawn, LLC. Chairman Sarro read the order which included the following:
- The uses of the Property shall be substantially in accordance with the testimony and exhibits presented by the Applicant during the hearing. The Supervisors voted 4-0 to approve the condition.
- The Safety Data Sheets (SDSs) shall be delivered to the Kennett, Longwood and Po-Mar-Lin fire companies, and copies shall be kept on the Property. The Supervisors voted 4-0 to approve the condition.
- The Applicant shall make a contribution for the acquisition or improvement of firefighting, rescue, ambulance, and any other emergency services equipment, securing the safety of the proposed uses. The amount of this emergency services contribution shall be $1,000.00. The Supervisors voted 4-0 to approve the condition.
- Applicant shall address the impervious coverage issues referenced in Finding of Fact 26 herein. The Supervisors voted 4-0 to approve the condition.
- The Applicant shall comply with all other applicable rules, laws and regulations. The Supervisors voted 4-0 to approve the condition.
- The Board of Supervisors reserves the right, however, to make such modifications to the project as may be requested by the Applicant as the Board of Supervisors deems to be in the public interest, without the necessity of reopening the conditional use hearing, subject to the Board’s providing prior notice of the proposed modifications to parties of record in the conditional use hearing. The Supervisors voted 4-0 to approve the condition.
- Applicant shall, within sixty (60) days of the date hereof, reimburse the Township for Township expenditures related to the application including fees paid to the Township Solicitor, and the cost of the court stenographer appearance and transcripts in the amount over and above the initial application fee. The Supervisors voted 4-0 to approve the condition.
The Supervisors voted 4-0 to approve the entire Conditional Use Order.
- Locust Lane Bridge Replacement. Township Manager Prysock presented an estimate prepared by Traffic Planning and Design to do the engineering work for the bridge replacement. TPD had done the preliminary work on the project and helped obtain a Municipal Bridge Replacement grant from DVRPC that will cover 80% of the costs. The TPD estimate totaling $144,300 included work that would be performed by Vandemark & Lynch in addition to others. The Supervisors voted 4-0 to have Traffic Planning and Design provide the engineering service for the bridge replacement.
Resolution 2019-11. The Resolution would recognize the acceptance of the sewer easement that was on the recorded plans for the Garnet QL Commercial Development. The Supervisors voted 4-0 to approve the Resolution.
Purchase of equipment and proposed sale of surplus equipment. Public Works Director Jeff Simpson sought approval to purchase a John Deere Z960M Zero Turn Mower with a 72” deck from Atlantic Tractor for $9,940.50 (lowest bid) and a Tiger 75” side mounted flail mower from Stephenson Equipment for $16,190 (lowest bid). The funds had been allocated in the 2019 budget.
Mr. Simpson also sought approval to advertise surplus equipment for sale on Municibid including the following items:
- SCAG Zero turn mower with 61” deck
- Leeboy 300 1.5 ton roller
- Pequea 7,000 lb 16’ utility trailer
- Craftsman 3,000 psi pressure washer
- Lincoln ARC Welder
- 2016 GMC running boards
- Sand Blast Cabinet
- Huffy 10 Speed Bicycle, Coca-Cola edition
- 48” Whelan Edge Light Bar
The Supervisors voted 4-0 to approve the purchases and dispersal of equipment.
Roof Replacement. Mr. Simpson also sought approval to advertise a request for bids to replace the roof on the vehicle garage located at 721 Unionville Road. Funds to replace the roof were allocated in the 2019 budget. Solicitor Unruh would like to review the bid documents prior to advertising as the bid contract would be subject to the terms provided. The Supervisors voted 4-0 to proceed with roof replacement project.
Bills. By a vote of 4-0 the Supervisors approved payment of invoices with the following totals: General Fund: $216,478.86
Sewer Fund: $38,620.31
Park Fund: $ 44.50
State Fund: $ 6,349.55
Treasurer’s Report. By a vote of 4-0 the Treasurer’s Report was accepted as submitted.
The meeting adjourned at 7:55p.m. There was an executive session to discuss personnel and legal matters following the meeting.
Laurie Prysock, Township Manager
EAST MARLBOROUGH TOWNSHIP
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
AGENDA – February 4, 2019– 7:00 P.M.
Subject to change
- Call to Order and Pledge of Allegiance
2. Public Comment Period
- Approval of Minutes of January 7, 2019
- Escrow Releases
- Longwood Preserve
- Walnut Walk
- Approval and written consent for Po-Mar-Lin to purchase a new rescue vehicle
- Request from Wal-Mart to add a temporary outdoor garden display, requested by Christa Briceland
- 7. Conditional Use Decision for NeuDawn, LLC
- East Locust Lane Bridge Proposal
- Resolution 2019-11 – Dedication of the Garnet QL Sewer Easement
- Request to dispose of surplus equipment through Municibid
- Request to advertise for bids to replace the roof at Township Office and Garage
- Treasurer’s Report
Note: There will be an executive session immediately preceding the public meeting to review a legal matter.